I am Slender Fortress player since 2016, and I would like to help all beginners and players that don’t have much experience in this gamemode. I hope you will enjoy reading this guide, also to learn something new, maybe?
So, first, what is exactly Slender Fortress?
What is “Slender Fortress” gamemode?
Slender Fortress is a unofficial gamemode in the game Team Fortress 2, which is based on the popular Slender Man and his “Slender games”.
The RED team plays the actual gamemode, while BLU team waits for RED team to finish, and at that time they can play at their PVP arena or spectate the RED team.
Special things for RED team
- Flashlight: The flashlight is a ray of light that emits from the RED members once they press Mouse 2 (by default). It is used to light the RED team’s way, as most maps are very dark, can be turned back off with Mouse 2, and will automatically turn off and stay off for a few seconds once it runs out of batteries. However, when off, the batteries will recharge.
- Sprinting: As aforementioned, all RED members are reduced to a slow-walk by default. However, they can sprint, greatly improving their speed, with Mouse 3 (the scroll, by default, is encouraged by most servers for the sprint mechanic to be binded to the Shift key). Sprinting for too long will slow the REDs down, as signaled by them breathing heavily and the stamina meter running out, so preserving your sprint only when necessary is an important factor.
- Blink: The blink mechanic, inspired by a similar mechanic from SCP – Containment Breach, is a mechanic that forces the player to blink every few seconds. They can also blink manually with, by default, the R key. While the blink mechanic seems useless, it is used for certain eye-based bosses like the Weeping Angels or SCP-173, who move extremely quickly when no one is looking at them, but cannot move once being observed.
- Melee: The RED team has only a melee weapon. While all bosses are unkillable (excluding a few who can be stunned), the melee mechanic can be used by picking up pages. This can be done by placing your cross-hairs over the page before pressing Mouse 1 and hitting it. Note that using a melee weapon can and will alert the boss if they hear it.
Special things for BLU team
- !slghost: If the BLU team want to spectate the RED team while they’re being hunted down, they can type this command into the chat and enable it by pressing 1. They will then become a ghost who can follow the RED team. However, they cannot interact with the RED(s), and the RED(s) cannot see them.
- Proxies: If proxy bosses like Giant Zombie Soldier or others are present in the playing area, some of the players from BLU team will be selected and a notification on the left of your screen will pop up (this applying only to the selected players) with reminders and hints at becoming a proxy, if you select yes you will spawn in a random location of the current playing area. Proxies can come in Spy’s form. To signify a proxy has entered the playing area a groaning sound will play, there will be a control meter, the control will slowly deplete until it is empty when emptied the proxy will die, you can kill people from RED team to gain control. Proxies can also be killed if battling a RED team member and losing. Proxies can also all gang up and kill alone or small groups of players which can be a useful advantage.
The Main Objective
The main objective is to find the required number of items for a given time, after which you have to escape through the exit located in the map.
Objects can be very different things, depending on the maps. They could be:
- Gas Cans
- Skulls and etc.
There are also maps that are only for escaping, with the requirement of finding and getting the only one subject to start the actual escaping.
And meanwhile you are doing all this work, you will have dangerous company, that is hunting you. Those are the Bosses.
The Bosses are programmed AI(s) (bots), who start chasing you after the Grace period ends. The more items you find, the faster and more dangerous they become. If you hear intro of some quotes or music, that means the boss is somewhere around you. After chasing, if bosses gets tired of you for the moment, they will teleport somewhere else around other player, which gives you extra time to move to another location or look around for the items.
There are a lot of Boss types, I will write about the most visible and famous ones.
There’s no way we should start the list without this category. This is the most used Boss type in the gamemode, the reason is because there are a lot of chasers and it is the easiest type of boss to create. Chasers are a boss type that will chase any player that comes into the FOV (field of view). To get away from them, you must use your sprint. Be careful, because Bosses can hear your flashlight and voice lines aswell. One example for those bosses is Kate.
These bosses are very hard and you shouldn’t meet them face-to-face. The reasons are their fast speeds, insane persistence, and the possible way to get away from them is if they find another player to hunt. They do however hardly wander from their spawn point, making this boss one players try to stay hidden from. Example for those bosses is Servant Grunt.
Statues are a boss type that can only move when not being observed by any players. Upon moving, these bosses are only capable of eliminating one player at a time. Upon blinking, they are considered as no longer being observed. While moving, statue bosses will generate noises. Any attempts to walk directly next to statues while alone, will get you killed. Example for those bosses is SCP-173.
- Grace Chasers
These are Chasers but instead of chasing you on sight they wait for a few seconds. People get these confused with Chargers. The difference is Chargers normally have insane speeds, unlike grace chasers. The best way to survive against Grace Chasers is to quickly get out of their sight if they see you. Like regular chases they can be outran. Grace chasers are slower than regular Chasers, but very persistent making them ideal threats if you encounter them. Example for those bosses is Shrek.
- Look and Run
These are special types of Chasers that can Teleport Behind players. They usually insta-kill and can make unfair spawns to the point were the player loses all sprint. Example for those bosses is Jason Voorhees.
- Static Chasers
These bosses have an insane Static rate and they actually chase you. This is because they have a chasing animations and act like actual chasers, the only difference is the insane Static rate on them. The strategy for this boss is to get out of it’s sight as fast as possible before it’s static kills you and if you can stun the boss, stun them and run for the best chance of surviving. unless the boss has an Instant killing attack or a kill radius the bosses static won’t kill the players when touching the boss but will kill them if the static gets to high enough. Example for those is Slenderman.
Chargers are special types of Chasers. They will “charge” at the player if in the Boss’s Field of View for too long. And the definition “charge” in SF2, means they go incredibly fast, but cant walk or move when idle. It is possible to escape Chargers but it is very hard to achieve. Example for those kind of bosses is Shadow Miku, personally my most favourite boss.
These bosses are Chasers that have a higher speed then all classes. These bosses don’t just outmatch you in speed but can also be quite persistent making them very hard to lose if they have the speed and the persistence. The best way to survive a nightmare boss (which is the hardest boss type in slender fortress) is to outrun it. The only way to outrun a Nightmare is to make sure you have a great distance between you and the Nightmare before it starts chasing you. You must also have a large amount of sprint otherwise there is little chance you will survive the encounter. Example for those bosses is Woody, the hardest boss in the entire gamemode.
- Proxy Masters
These are special bosses who spawn in up to 8 or more players from the BLU team to help them kill the RED team. These bosses don’t attack the player unless there combined with another boss type. The amount of proxies a proxy Master can have is different every boss. These bosses can be dangerous if they are around with a lot of proxies because the boss and the proxies can trap you.
This boss will stun the player after they successfully hit the player. This gives the player less time to escape and makes it almost a guarantee death if its stun is a long stun. The way to counter this boss is to not let it hit you. Example for those bosses is MTF a.k.a Mobile Task Force.
This boss can create shockwave which can cause knockback to other players.
Example for those bosses is Bread Monster
Grace period: This is the period covering the start of the round and the start of the chasing. While this period is active, you’re completely safe, so do your best to find some subjects. If you or someone else gets the first subject, the grace period ends, which means the chasing part comes in.
This command gives the most important information about the gamemode, it is recommended to give it an eye, when you join in any SF2 server.
This command gives you many useful settings, such as spawn next to the PVP area and others. Check them when you join in any SF2 server.
This command, as you probably already understood, transforms you into ghost mode and you can spectate the gameplay of the RED team.
This command gives you the information when you will be the next playing as RED team, the escapers.
Every TF2 character’s stats
(+) He’s the fastest character.
(+) He stuns the bosses faster than every other character.
(-) Has 125 HP
(-) Sandman is not recommended because of the -15 HP downside, also it’s pretty useless, you can’t even use your ball to stun or something.
(+) Has 200 HP
(+) If Soldier uses the Disciplinary Action, when he hit someone, he boosts himself and the hitted player’s walking and running speed.
(-) Second most slow character.
(+) Afterburn immunity
(+) Good Health
(+) Resistence to fire damage
(+) 3 charges to put out teammates on fire
(+) Powerjack increases walk and sprint speed along increases vulnerability
(-) Still takes fire damage
(+) 66% increase in scare sprint duration
(+) Up to 200 HP
(-) Slow walking and sprinting speed
(+) Strongest Class
(+) Moves faster with the Gloves of Running Urgently (not really recommended, because it takes from your health, also you’re marked for death)
(-) The slowest character.
(+) Has higher battery life.
(+) Has 150 HP with the Gunslinger if equipped
(-) Pretty slow
(-) Has 125 HP (without Gunslinger)
(+) Can heal himself.
(+) Can heal people around with the Amputator Taunt.
(+) Pretty fast.
(-) He is the main target for bosses (because of his regeneration)
(-) Not really sneaky
(+) Has the highest blink duration.
(+) Can heal with the Cozy Camper, but it makes him a primary for bosses.
(-) 125 HP only
(-) Pretty slow
(+) 35% less detectable
(+) Can crouch walk past bosses
(+)Bosses are chasing this character last.
(-) Is not that good for chaser bosses
(-) 125 HP
(+-) Not one of the fastest characters, but he’s alright.
Against flashlight stunable bosses, best option is Engineer.
Against Statue Bosses, best option is Sniper.
Against all types of Bosses: Scout, Demoman, Spy.
To help people: Soldier, Medic, Heavy.
Against bosses that spread fire, use Pyro, Heavy, Medic, Spy.
You can use whatever you want, keep in mind, that they are kind of the same in terms of their speed, when sprinting.
The most important thing is to have fun.
My advanced tips to help you get better at the gamemode
- Do not use voice commands, with that way, you are revealing yourself and the bosses will come near to you. They can hear all voice commands, that includes the voice line binds (Z, X, C in-game), also from taunts, taking fall damage and flashlight.
- Crouch when you want to recharge your stamina, it regenerates faster.
- Do not move with a big group of other RED team players, because you will be making a lot of noices, which will summon the boss next to you.
- While the grace period is active, find subject and wait your other teammates to find more subjects, so when the period ends, your team will have more items found in the beginning.
- In the beginning of the round, if this text shows in the down part of your screenSprint – HOLD Special Attack, that means the Boss is somewhere near to you.
- If the Boss is somewhere around you, you hear him but you’re not sure where exactly he is,use taunts such as the director’s vision, so you can look around you and see if the Boss is camping you. The reason why I am putting this taunt is because it has no voice lines or sound effects included, so you will be completely safe using it.
Servers for the gamemode
Glubbable’s first EU server – 184.108.40.206:27026
Glubbable’s second EU server – 220.127.116.11:27019
Glubbable’s first US server – 18.104.22.168:27015
Glubbable’s second US server – 22.214.171.124:27015
NY 1 – Slender Fortress – 126.96.36.199:27015
NY 2 – Slender Fortress – 188.8.131.52:27015
–Dallas, United States–
TX 1 – Slender Fortress – 184.108.40.206:27015
TX 2 – Slender Fortress – 220.127.116.11:27015
The more you know: Surely, Glubbable’s servers are the greatest ones, since they are the official ones, but they load so slow, so either take your time to download everything, or join in the other servers below!
The server’s IP: 18.104.22.168:27019
The more you know: It is US server.
District: Zen’s server (Southeast Asia one)
The server’s IP: 22.214.171.124:19001
The more you know: Alright server, but it is located in Asia. Expect a high ping, unless you’re from Asia.
Medic and Friends’s server:
The server’s IP: 126.96.36.199:27036
The more you know:It is US one, I think, it’s the best solution if you are impatient to wait Glubbable’s servers to load.
The server’s IP: 188.8.131.52:27125
The more you know: This server, in general, is very poor, in terms of stats, maps, bosses and players ( because it’s dead :c), overall bad experience. The only time that I would recommend this server is, if you are really impatient, because it loads so fast and it is EU server.
Congratulations if you’ve come here already and thank you for reading my guide.
I hope, you’ve learned something new, now you can go into the servers and show your skills!
This is all for Team Fortress 2 Slender Fortress Game mode Advance Guide for New Players hope you enjoy the post. If you believe we forget or we should update the post please let us know via comment, we will try our best to fix how fast is possible! Have a great day!
- All Team Fortress 2 Posts List