The Easy Way
So you want to do it the easy way? This is a joke… real Linux users would be hurt.
Use the script I have created to add all the changes automatically. Find it
Here – [github.com]
The Manual Way
Are you a Linux chad? You can now mute Discord Kitten and continue following along.
Find your Proton Prefix
- Go to your main Steam Directory. This directory should not be used if you don’t have a secondary drive where you store games.
- You can now copy the contents of this folder to the next folder.
This will be your path later. For this example, my prefix path is:
- Download DXVK GitHub – [github.com]
- Once the file has been downloaded, extract it.
- Place the CD in the folder, then go to the x32 folder.
- Copy d3d9.dll> and dxgi.dll> to your Saints Row 2, directory (. The SR2_pc.exe address is)
- Recover the folder you just extracted, and then copy the shell script to that folder.
- Run the shell script specifying the prefix that was found earlier.
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix/ ./setup_dxvk.sh install
Vulkan custom configuration
- CD into your Saints Row 2 game director (. The SR2_pc.exe address is)
- Make a new folder and give it the name ‘dxvk.conf.
- Open it with a text editor.
dxgi.maxFrameLatency = 1
d3d9.maxFrameLatency = 1
dxgi.maxFrameRate = 60
d3d9.maxFrameRate = 60
d3d9.textureMemory = 0
Note: Make sure everyone is on their own line.
- Save and Exit
A custom resolution
This is the only time it will be required to install my script. I will not show you how to do that manually.
- Download the https://github.com/dontna/SaintsRow2-Proton-Fixer/blob/main/resolution_changer.sh – [github.com]
- Once the installation is complete, grant it permissions for execution.
chmod u+x resolution_changer.sh
- Run the script in this order: [RESOLUTION_WIDTH][RESOLUTION_HEIGHT][PATH_TO_PREFIX].
Example: ./resolution_fixer.sh 1920 1080 /home/dontna/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/9480/pfx/
This would change the in-game resolution from 1920×1080 to 1920×1080
The following example would set 3440×1440 resolution
Example: ./resolution_fixer.sh 3440 1440 /home/dontna/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/9480/pfx/
I haven’t tested all resolutions, but any resolution above 3440×1440 works perfectly.
Force the game’s use of Proton version 5.0-10
Once you are in the game, if you experience audio problems, go to Settings > Display and change the “Dynamic Lighting” setting to “Simple”, or “Off”. This will dramatically improve performance.
How to fix bugs
You might have some issues that need to addressed. These issues can be fixed if you have downloaded and installed my main script. These steps will help you fix them manually.
No Game Sound
This problem is caused by the older Proton version.
- Winetricks can be installed
- In a Terminal, write the following
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix/ winetricks --force xact
Very nice job Chad. While this will not solve every problem, it will make it easier to run at a playable framerate.
There are a few resources and tools I need to credit. Without them, this guide is impossible.
This guide gave me a good overview of what I needed to do to get the game running more smoothly. This was the first step in fixing Proton. They also show you how to install gentlemen on the row, which can improve stability.
– This tool did not work for me personally. However, the error messages helped me understand the program’s behavior and allow me to recreate the utility in my script. Without these error messages, the script might not have been created.
This is all for Saints Row 2 Tweaks + Bugs Fixes + Proton Guide hope you enjoy the post. If you believe we forget or we should update the post please let us know via comment, we will try our best to fix how fast is possible! Have a great day!
- Check All Saints Row 2 Posts List