This is a guide going over some great details essentially left out of my Workshop releases.
Lore / Backstory
All wars are over, the last world war took place across the globe in a desperate attempt to stop the White Plague, ending in vain, and now the world lies in ruin.
15 years ago the bombs fell, they tried to control the outbreak of the White Plague with nuclear weaponry, chemical agents, and even mind-control experiments and tests.
But all their tests, weaponry, and main goals were defeated and as a result of mass destructions, land poisoned with chemical agents, there are ‘dead’ walking among the living; Zombies.
After all these events, stripped of mind and reason, leaving only an empty, mindless shell. The brainless bodies then turn into zombies, following only the most basic instincts, wandering aimlessly around the land without weapons or even clothing. Some zombies are little more than sluggish walking corpses, caring only about food and sleep, some can run even. They eat and drink just about anything they can get their hands on. Usually, they roam the land without any apparent purpose. However, as soon as they sense the presence of a human being, they attack immediately.
Experienced travelers have learned to avoid them if they can.
The zombies are somewhat all that roams the lands of Chernarus, there really isn’t much else to see.
Some wandering survivors speak of other creatures, that some believe to be folk stories from Slavic mythology, or perhaps just stories to frighten other survivor groups from wandering the wastes.
Nevertheless, you are one of the few that survived. This is YOUR story.
Surviving these lands can be a very difficult task, even for veteran Survivors.
Your primary goals are:
– Medical supplies
– Means to defend yourself from bandits
– Means of transport
– Making your own shelter with supplies
– Sleep to keep yourself alert and aware in the wasteland (Singleplayer feature)
– Protective gear from radiation and poisonous gas
Temperature / Sickness
There are many ways to become sick, but one of the fastest ways is to drink turbid or dirty water!
If you find yourself near a nice stream of what looks to be fresh water don’t drink it!
Instead, if you have a canteen that’s empty you should do yourself a favor and refill it with the turbid water and then from there craft a fire and boil the water to kill any and all bacteria within it!
Another easy way to become sick is through zombie contact, if a zombie is within distance that it can strike you, you will become very sick! First signs of symptoms typically appear within 5 or so minutes after being attacked…
- Cold threshold:
- (36 – 33) Celsius
- Fever threshold:
- (38 – 42) Celsius
If you go ABOVE or BELOW these values death is certain…
If you do find yourself suffering from a high fever you can always take a nice dip in frigid waters to bring your body temperature back down to a stable temperature, but remember, this will NOT cure it, only delay death…
If you are freezing remember that heat pack’s will raise your body temperature! As well as lighting a fire nearby!
this is a 10 minute heat pack
‘The Burning Rain’ and ‘Not Alone’ Feature a unique and complex fire crafting system
There are TWO types of ways to craft a fire:
- A Match lit fire
- A Lighter lit fire
If you are going to light a fire by MATCH you need the following items:
- A match
- tinder or crumpled paper
If you are going to light a fire by LIGHTER you need the following items:
- A Lighter
- tinder or crumpled paper
Crafting a fire requires more than a fire source and fuel you also need something to bring that fire to life, this is where kindling is introduced.
There are two different types of kindling:
- Crumpled paper
To get Crumpled paper you can either buy it or find it by searching items, it’s chance to be found is completely random, but it is in a more common loot type.
To get Tinder you will need to search for it, you cannot buy it. To search for it you can use ACE self interactions menu and select the “Search for Tinder” action, you will then look for suit-able tinder for fire crafting.
Also if you cannot afford firewood you always have the option to cut wood from a tree using the following tools:
Also remember that a match box can be used to get a decent amount of matches fairly easily.
- Match box
Fishing & Hunting
‘The Burning Rain’ and ‘Not Alone’ feature a unique fishing system, as well as typical game hunting.
To fish you will need the following items:
- Collapsible fishing pole
- Fishing hook
- Fishing spool
Once you have all four of these items you can begin fishing, but remember that fishing isn’t easy, most of the time you will find that;
- -Your fishing gear is shoddy
- -Your equipment can break fairly easily or need replaced (hook, bait, spool)
- -You don’t catch much
All three of these are simply part of fishing, that’s why it’s extremely important to always carry more than you need when going fishing. Always carry spare bait, spools, and hooks!
To start fishing go to any body of water and use ACE menu
Once hooking a fish you will need to cook them! They can be cooked at any fire using ACE menu.
- cooked fish
As for hunting the only item you need is a knife:
Once you have a knife in your inventory and you fell a wild boar, or even a rabbit simply approach the animal and double click the knife in your inventory while looking at the animals corpse
Once the animal has been gutting you will be rewarded with raw meat (it will spawn on the ground)
after you collect the raw meat you can then cook it at any fire via ACE menu.
- raw meat
- cooked meat
There are a good portion of medical items within the wasteland, however this section will go over what each form of medicine does.
- Antibiotic pack
- –Gives the player multiple antibiotic pills
- Antibiotic pill
- –Allows treatment of fevers
- Caffeine tablets
- –Enables no fatigue for up to 20 minutes, also increases heart-rate
- Caffetin package
- –Gives player multiple caffetine tablets
- Caffetin tablets
- –Suppresses fever DOES NOT CURE IT
- Cenestin bottle
- –Gives player cenestin pills
- –Enables quicker clotting of blood, can help stop bleeding of minor wounds
- Pain killers pack
- –Gives players pain pills
- Pain pill
- –slightly reduces pain
- Potassium Iodate bottle
- –Gives player potassium iodate pills
- Potassium Iodate pill
- –Slightly reduces radiation level each use
- Random Pharmaceutical drugs
- –Can cause severe unwanted effects
- Thbd Injection
- –A cell-surface receptor that can help with severe radiation exposure
- –Enables no fatigue for a certain amount of time (numeric value is time without fatigue)
- Vitamin injection
- –Same as vitamins just an injection, is active much faster
- –Narcotic, enables the user to have no fatigue for up to 30 minutes, greatly increases heart-rate
‘The Burning Rain’ and ‘Not Alone’ feature FULL ACE medical compatibility and use.
Please follow Pte Laird’s Advanced ACE medical guide below for more information on how to treat wounds:
While wandering the wastes, you are bound to eventually come across a trader within a town.
Traders sell all sorts of goods, ranging from weaponry, clothing, medicine, all the way to food items.
In ‘The Burning Rain’ and ‘Not Alone’ I use HALs traders;
below is an in depth GUI description of what each button does.
You need to be near a workbench in order to craft; workbenches are located at just about every trader or town location… You can also purchase one from the Elektro Base items trader Near ‘The Scrapyard’
You will need a LOT of supplies to craft certain goods, as well as some electronics to finish certain items…
Base building / Base Crafting
In order to build a base you must first purchase fortifications in order to start constructing your base.
You will need to head to the New Chernarus Republic Bank to start collecting some fortifications:
- New Republic of Chernarus Bank
Once there see the trader by the wooden counter
- Base trader
Once in the menu buy what fortifications you’re wanting
- Base trader menu
Once you have purchased what you want, open up ACE self actions menu and open fortifications
Click the item you purchased an select “Build”
- Fortifications menu
You can then feel free to place the object where you want
- Fort placement
Be sure to follow the placement rules to the right of the screen
- Placement rules
Vehicles / refuel system
It is 15 years after a nuclear disaster has struck most of Europe and the world. Most vehicles have been already scrapped for parts, or decommissioned entirely…
Wondering throughout the wasteland can be cumbersome especially if you’re weighted down with all your loot pickings from bandits, or stuff that you’ve come across in your searching from place to place…
Most vehicles will require a great deal of repairs to become functional.
The following items are used to bring a vehicle back to it’s former glory:
- Toolbox – allows the user to repair certain aspects of vehicles, from headlights to fuel system to even torque rotors on helicopters. This is a MUST for mechanical repairs…
- Tire – Allows the user to replace a faulty tire (requires a tool kit to mount)
- Petrol Jerry can – Allows the user to refuel vehicles that have petrol fuel systems (Cars, light duty vehicles, aircraft)
- Diesel Jerry can – Allows the user to refuel vehicles that have Diesel fuel systems (tanks, heavy trucks, etc…)
If you have an empty Petrol or Diesel Jerry can you can refill them, but you can ONLY refill a Diesel or Petrol Jerry can at a gas pump, and to operate a gas pump you MUST have a car or truck battery to turn the pump on!
Once the player has obtained a Map, they will be able to see all contamination zones. Contamination zones are depicted by a red round zone marker;
You can expect lethal amounts of radiation from exploring a contamination zone, not instantly killing you but slowly increased amounts over time, get dosed with too much radiation and you can become sick.
Contamination zones also are homes of toxic gases, without the use of a gasmask death is certain within a contamination zone…
Example of the Chernogorsk exclusion zone:
The Reach used to be a military installation, before the White Plague pandemic. The military has not been seen active in this area since the nukes fell and poisonous air destroyed crops. Occasional travelers and rare survivors speak of weird rumbling noises, or screams coming from The Reach, yet no one knows what they are nor from what part of the base it comes from…
Radio equipment is just picking static noise when directed towards The Reach. Too much scrap metal and antennas create a robust lookalike Faraday cage, jamming all frequencies.
People in these lands are very prone to superstition and it is believed that these stories are made up, in order to keep the people and adventures away from The Reach due to contamination. They all just say to stay clear away from that dreaded place, as the contaminated air is fatal in a single breath.
No one actually knows what could be in there… supplies, vehicles, maybe a survivors camp… Or as some superstitious folks around here dare to say ‘something that came straight from the depths of Hell itself.’
It is rumored that the remains of private military companies, military from various post-Soviet countries, and survivors who joined them to be very active in the northern regions of Chernarus.
They are extremely hostile towards anyone, and this brings up the question of whether they are just keeping others away to save resources, or trying to re-develop some weapon of mass destruction.
If you decide to venture north you should tread lightly and always keep an eye out on your surroundings; some travels speak of the military having even helicopters patrolling around the bases.
If you are to attempt taking out a military zone be prepared for a lot of challenges waiting for you but remember with great risk comes great reward.
- Base building
- FULL ACE Compatibility
- Sickness / infection system (adapted HS code, additional zed infection added)
- Temperature system (Heros Survive)
- Custom Assets (items, sounds)
- Original OST (Credits to ReasonUnknown)
- Custom Frameworks for custom items usage + ACE med compatibility
- Tons of custom additional code
- TTS_emissions (blowouts)
- Vandeanson’s Heli wrecks, Ship wrecks, bandit camps, etc…
- Additional medical items written to work with ACE medical
- In depth sleeping system (based off Ravage’s code, with Help from Haleks) *SP ONLY*
- Custom Radiation system
- Cooking (ACE compatible)
- Artifact hunting (custom code, assets, and based HIGHLY off S.T.A.L.K.E.R games)
- Dynamic scenario’s (each start / play through is unique)
- Frequently updated / patched
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R Like
- Dynamic in game missions that offer great loot (credits to DMD/JakeHekesFist)
- Unlimited replay-ability
Credits / HUGE Thanks
- Heros for the Heroes Survive Mod
- Vandeanson FULL credit for the VD_Script_Pack, as well as some inventory sounds
- Haleks for use of the Ravage mod, and all it’s functions. And Remnant Mod, as well as some coding help
- GEORGE FLOROS GR for his ambient sounds system
- RHS team for AFRF and USAF and GREF assets
- ACE team for the ACE mod, ACE medical, and all it’s features / functions / framework
- GRAD team for GRAD Fortifications, as well as other systems
- Seth Duda for reppelling, Advanced towing, and Slingloading
- Larrow for search-able loot system
- Advanced Arma 3 chat by ConnorAU
- TheTimidShade for Emissions / blowouts events
- JakeHekesFist for DMD missions
- EO for ambient wildlife systems
Extra Sound Credits
- ReasonUnknown for some custom inventory / player / ambient sounds
- GSC Gameworlds for use of their audio samples
- GEORGE FLOROS for some audio samples in ambient loops
- CHR TEAM
Here we come to an end for Arma 3 The Burning Rain + Not Alone Survival Guide hope you enjoy it. If you think we forget something to include or we should make an update to the post let us know via comment, and we will fix it asap! Thanks and have a great day!
- Check All Arma 3 Posts List