Root Letter Last Answer features three “extra” scenarios that will appear after beating the game for the first time; these don’t really do anything else but they are fun bonuses to pursue. I found scarce information about them online so I decided to document them in a guide here.
After completing any route, upon replaying the game while hunting for the extra endings you might run into new characters if you go to some areas deviating from where the story wants you to go. These seem to be remnants of the original version of the game which apparently unlocked some of the features in the Gallery, however here in Last Answer they seem to not be requirements for them. These scenarios are not voiced so it’s a sign they’re extras, but I still think they’re fun to pursue.
I wanted to do them myself and I found very little information on them to help me out when I got lost. I found an entry from a now inactive blog – [wordpress.com] that detailed the steps, so I’m making a more graphical version of the steps in here, so that if someone else is trying to do them they can hopefully find the information easier.
I’ve also made a walkthrough video showing them in full and I will link it in the end, the guide instead can serve if you simply want guidance on the steps to follow.
These aren’t in any order or anything, and in fact the triggers for them might even overlap due to them requiring to go to the same location. This is alright, I will detail each of them in the order they require to start and finish. Do note that if for story reasons you need to go to a specific location, the special sequence might not trigger, if this happens just leave and return to the location, or progress the story enough to remove any scripted events that happen on it.
These can be done as long as you are able to travel to all the locations that you need to go through, they also can be redone in any new save file. Probably its best to do during chapter 8 or 9. For the purpose of this guide I used a save file on Chapter 8 and got up to where you need to go to the DVD Store. Starting the events here will not cause any interference.
Scenario 1: Wandering Traveler
The first scenario we’ll see is the Wandering Traveler, you’ll meet this guy exploring Matsue and he’ll give some hints as to where he might be found in next. They aren’t always easy to guess though. Thankfully all we need is to move to the locations and the next scene will trigger.
- To start, head to the Vacant Lot and you’ll find him there.
- Next, he’ll be in the Shimane Art Museum, go Inside.
- He will then go to the Matsue Oba High School
- Next, he’ll be in the Matsue Central Library, head inside of it.
- Then he’ll be spotted by Matsue Station
- From there he’ll head to Nakamura Bar
- Next, he’ll be in Usagi Theater Company.
- He’ll then head to San-in Chuo TV Company, head inside.
- At last, he’ll visit the National Treasure, go to Shiroyama Park, and then Inside the Castle Tower.
After talking to him for the last time, he’ll give you a script for his story… to me it seems this is supposed to be the writer of the game…lol. It’s not an actual item though. But this concludes this scenario.
Scenario 2: Find the lost SHIMANEKKO
SHIMANEKKO is the first character you actually meet in the game. There is an achievement that says “Speak to SHIMANEKKO for the first time”, almost implying you might meet him more throughout the game, but in reality you really don’t, not unless you do the right steps to do this optional quest after completing any route. To proceed on this one, you need to Move to locations and Check a specific part of the screen, which for some of the steps is a bit hidden as the clue given as to where to go is not always straightforward.
To start you need to go to Kamiari-an and there will be a character named Matsuda, he will be worried about SHIMANEKKO as he seems to be running away from work. Every time you find a hidden location for SHIMANEKKO you’ll need to return to the Shimane Art Museum’s Inside to report to Matsuda, who will give you the hint on the next location you need to visit.
- Go to Kamiari-an, meet with Matsuda for the first time. After he leaves, Check the sign. You’ll meet SHIMANEKKO before he runs away. Then go to the Museum to report.
PLEASE NOTE you have to return to the museum every time, I’ll only post the reference picture this time.
- The second location is the vacant lot. Check the houses in the back. Then return to the museum.
- His third spot is by Matsue Station, Check the road on the right. Then return to the museum.
- The fourth spot is in Kyomise Shopping Area. Check the mailbox. Then return to the museum.
- The fifth spot is on the Tourist Information Center of Shiroyama Park. Check the vending machine. Then return to the museum.
- The sixth spot is the baseball field of Matsue Oba High School. Check the field. Then return to the museum.
- The seventh spot will be the National Treasure within Shiroyama Park. Check the path. Then return to the museum.
- The eight spot will be inside Usagi Theater Company. Check the window. Then return to the museum.
- The ninth spot is Karakoro Art Studio. Check the table. Then return to the museum.
- The tenth and final spot is the North Soumon Bridge within Shiroyama Park.
This is the final spot, and you’ll see the conclusion to the small story here as Matsuda joins back. After this the quest has finished.
Scenario 3: The Nakamura Bar Special Cocktail
The final scenario is probably the least interesting one, but there is some extra flavor text you can get out of it. If you head to Nakamura bar, Nozu will offer a special cocktail from the house, but you’ll be tasked to go and collect the ingredients for it first. You’ll need to find places likely to have the vague descriptions of the items you need, and then select the right ingredient from the options you can choose.
If you choose “wrong” you might get some alternate answers, which is kinda cool. Selecting the right one will proceed the quest.
- To begin go to Nakamura Bar. Nozu will be there before opening hours, but he’ll offer to make you a special cocktail if you can find the ingredients hinted at vaguely.
- For the Red Fruit, head to Mone Dango Shop, go inside, when asked, the answer will be Strawberry Red Bean Cake.
- For the carbonated drink, go inside Marukoshi. The correct choice is Ramune Soda.
- For the garnish, head to Kamiari-an, the correct choice is Mint Leaves.
- For the orange fruit, head to Matsue Inn, the correct choice is Tangerine.
- For the purple fruit, this is an interesting one, first head to the Matsue History Museum. If you’ve read the guidebook descriptions you’ll have seen that the museum had a cafeteria inside. Go to Kiharu Tea Room from there.
I believe this is the only instance in the entire game where you need to come here. The background is the same used when you go to some cafe in Shiroyama Park in one of the earlier chapters… anyway, here the correct choice is Blueberry.
You can finally return to Nakamura Bar where Nozu will mix the ingredients and make the cocktail. This ends the scenario.
I’ve also made a video detailing all the scenarios, you can find it here:
Well that’s all, I just wanted to share this info in case more people found these characters when chasing all the endings and got stuck trying to find them again, I know I did and it wasn’t too straight forward to find some info on where to go next.
I mentioned it on my video but in the original release of the game, there is an achievement for finding SHIMANEKKO 10 times, which is achieved doing the quest. For whatever reason, at least here on Steam, the achievement is missing from Last Answer. So that adds more to the “possible obscurity” these events have in this version of the game, but hopefully more people are able to see the events for themselves now.
Please comment if there’s any mistakes or comments you have about the guide, and I hope it was of use!
Hope you enjoy the post for Root Letter Last Answer Additional Scenarios for Root Letter Last Answer Walkthrough, If you think we should update the post or something is wrong please let us know via comment and we will fix it how fast as possible! Thank you and have a great day!
- Check All Root Letter Last Answer Posts List